Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Of Carpets and Wagons

It's been a good few weeks since I last posted here, and I apologize for my belated virtual welcoming of the new year. According to a majority of people, this is the year we are all swept into oblivion and die.

Lovely.

The past few days have been depressingly tense in my family situation. As per usual, my father has been silently bemoaning his job, and acting for all the world like some sort of lion, stalking the kitchen and living room and easily enraged upon the slightest thing. I'm sure it's evident how much fun the weekend family interaction has been.


Despite the situation, I finally cleaned my room so that I may once more make the acquaintance of my carpet, who is a seldom seen visitor. So basically I holed up in my newly-clean room with the laptop for the entirety of the weekend, basking in false-security and doing incredibly productive things, like wasting time on Tumblr and watching the last episode of BBC Sherlock season 2. Disregarding the aggravating family situation that no one other then my father had sway over, I'd say the time spent in my room was surprisingly enjoyable. Yay, solitude.

I went to the bookstore today with my mother, which was a wonderfully pleasant surprise. When I first walked through the door there, smack dab in the center, was a rack with a row of shiny new copies of a familiar book, "The Fault in Our Stars". The only difference being the tiny, yellow circular sticker pasted on the front, advertising "Signed copy!".

Always one to chase after the theoretical band wagon long after it's pulled away, I slipped a copy in my hand cart to skim before I checked out. I've seen the book often on the internet in the past few weeks, images of wide grins with the blue cover next to it, often accompanied by a caption of "Just got 'Fault in Our Stars'!!!!". I didn't really understand the excitement and obsession with it, which I still don't, but as easily swayed by mass excitement that I am, I ended up cracking open the copy in the coffee shop in the side of store.

I'm sure the only thing more annoying to the patrons of the coffee shop then the gaunt-faced woman who insisted on loudly cussing to her mother about their family issues, was my frequent and somewhat obnoxiously loud laughter. Which is to say, it's basically amazing. In a way it reminds me "The Elegance of the Hedgehog", what with the dry humor and outlook on death that the characters of both books share. "Fault in Our Stars", however, is a little easier to read for a teenager, and everything about it that I've read so far; the characters, the philosophies, the sardonic personalities. I can easily understand why people would fall over themselves for this book; I haven't laughed so hard over one in a long time.

In other news, relevant to a topic previously mentioned in passing, I also purchased the second book in "The Hunger Games" trilogy. I only read the first once because of the huge online fan base, and I was pleased that they had a table stocked with more copies of the three books then any fan could possibly want. I've yet to start reading it, seeing as to how I've only set down "Fault" to write this pointless, brain numbingly dull entry because I felt it my duty to update this at some semblance of a regular schedule.

I'm sure my countless fans are hanging upon my every typed word as we speak.

Anyway, it's about time I wrap up this disgustingly ostentatious and boring post. I quite sincerely apologize for wasting the time of any poor person who bothers to read this.
Happy 2012!

No comments: