Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Leave My Door Open, Just a Crack (Please Take Me Away from Here)

It's 48 minutes to midnight on December 16th (contrary to the inevitable mis-date of this blog entry) and there's a basset hound on my bed and no less than four containers holding various knit-stuff surrounding me.

Which means, of course, that I'm moving within 48 hours. 


The amount of boxes within our condo have reached a truly outrageous number, and I've spent pretty much the entire day shoving my crap into boxes, bags and suitcases. Interestingly enough, no matter how hard I try, there almost always seems to be some odd little things left lingering on carpets and in the backs of drawers. So here, have a List of the 5 Most Likely Things to Randomly Appear Whilst You're Moving. 

(Yeah, I know, the title needs work.) 

1. Pennies/Spare change. It seems as if wherever I look, I find pennies and nickels. On bed-spreads and in the bottoms of drawers and in the pockets of old pairs of shorts. Which, hey, free money- but it's weird. Am starting to suspect presence of a Spare-Change Sprite.

2. Socks. They're also everywhere. Sockapalooza. Invasion of The Socks. Keep Calm & Sock On. Oh god why am I writing this at 11:30. Anyways, it's a veritable sock-hop over here, which is really annoying because I've already packed all my clothes and am now stuck shoving socks in with doggie toys and old notebooks. 

3. Pens/Pencils/Highlighters/Sculpted Bits of Charcoal/Every writing implement under the sun. I have found two red pens, a few highlighters, an old fountain pen I didn't even know I had, about 23 mechanical pencils, and no less than 47 assorted pencils, at the minimum. Oh, and a handful of stolen Sharpies, which are helpful when it comes to labeling boxes. 

4. Those Weird Little Clips You Put on Chip Bags. Yeah, they're also everywhere. I think I've found about 14 or so as of yet. Am still not sure how they ended up on my desk/under my bookcase, but they managed it somehow.

5. Bugs. Unnerving, but true. There's a dead beetle across the carpet from me as we speak. Also, I found a bunch of weird little pupa-casings in an old jewelry box, I think there's a spider in the corner above my bed, and, though this may not count, there's been a mosquito graveyard on my windowsill since I first moved in. I don't even want to give the closet floor a closer look. 

And bonus:
6. Yarn/Bits of Stuffing. Okay, this is biased since I'm a knitter, but there's a truly stupendous amount of yarn-scraps and cotton-ball-sized bits of polyfill stuffing littering my carpet and taking up residence under my bed. Don't even ask me to try and put a number to how much there is; all I can say is a lot

I should really get back to cleaning up what remains of my room, buuut I don't want to. So instead, I'll waste time on here, writing a blog entry that won't be published for a minimum of two more days. 

I want to say that I'm reluctant to go, to leave from this little bubble we've shelled out for ourselves here, but. . . in reality? 
I'm not reluctant. 

I think I've already cut all ties that needed to be cut, and all hesitation has been shoved out of the way. Now all that's left is the excitement, the wander-lust, the all encompassing need to go go go. To go to a new place, shed all remnants of this old life and just be new. Like when you take a shower and turn the dial red hot, scrub at your skin until it's raw and red, as if you can chip off your old exterior and remake yourself. This tiny house, these roads, everything that this place represents, is the equivalent of flaky dead skin. Which is not the most pleasing analogy I've ever made, but certainly not the worst. 

But all in all, I'm just really excited. Which is. . . lovely, really, because I don't think I've been this excited in a long time. Not just the excitement of when you know there's going to be dessert, when you know you get to go to the movies tomorrow, or sleep in on Saturday. It's the kind of excitement that sinks into your bones and buzzes, that keeps your mind jumping around in the middle of the night and has you bouncing on your heels because you physically cannot stay still. It's a little bit like having ADHD, I imagine, except better because you know something good is coming and afterwards, the excitement will fade away. But not in a bad way! It'll be a content sort of fading, if that makes any sense.

Probably not.

Meh, whatever. 

No comments: