Thursday, February 07, 2013

Optimist - An Update in Pictures

(Went to downtown Nashville today and decided I may as well make a normal blog entry for once.
And, y'know.
Let people know I'm not dead.)


We went to lunch at the Capitol Grille in the Hermitage Hotel. It was this really swanky place, and the bellhop who held the door for us was wearing a top hat. I ordered a banana chocolate creme puff for desert. It came with a football of hazelnut ice cream and a thin slab of gold-drizzled chocolate. 

(all of us loved the hand lotion in the hotel bathroom)


Afterwards we walked to the infamous Hatch Print Shop, a huge, long store filled with old band and promotional posters. It smelled like ink and chicken sandwiches, and floorboards were delightfully wonky and creaky.


 (The cat liked to hide behind the Ed Sheeran posters.)


After we bought a bunch of posters for random things and was given some free promotional bookmarks, we stumbled across an improbable relic of the Music City- a record store.





There was a whole wall of cassette tapes. I hadn't seen the things since I was 6 maybe- 'used to have one of those portable Sony players.


After the record store, we wandered some more. Found a neon sign advertising an RV resort in the middle of a city block.

Then we wandered over to the Bridgestone Arena. It was impossibly big, and there were lot of tourist-y little things in the giftshop. And a crap ton of adverts for the TV show Nashville.



Saw some city school kids- which was mildly disconcerting. You just don't expect to see kids in the middle of a city. Cities seem like the Adult World, like you must be 18 or older to enter. It was odd.


Found a streetlamp with gargoyle legs. Wish I could've gotten a better picture.


And finally, I got my haircut the other day. It's really, really short- it's only ever been this short when I was about 11 or so. It makes me look like a brunette Tinker Bell at times.
I kind of like it.




No comments: