Friday, October 01, 2010

Insert Smart-Alecky Post Title Here:

I know, I know. I have a pretty lame title today, but thats because (shockingly) I have no life-changing events to write about that may urge my vocabulary and supposedly "witty" humor. I just felt like I owed this blog (and the bored reader that I imagine while write, who checks this blog when they are teetering on the brink of unspeakable boredom) another post.

First off, I'd like to apologize for my drama-filled episode last post, which I assure you, does not happen often and (hopefully) will never make another appearance on this blog. Yes, I am a hormonal teenage girl but I'm not a Drama Queen.


Secondly, I'm reading the Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. If anyone intelligent out there reads this, then they may recognize the fact that I'm reading the book that the new movie, Easy A, is based on. And I'm slightly ashamed to say that I actually want to see the movie, It's unlike my usual movie preferences. But my mother has cut a deal with my sister and I; read the banned book the movies based on (for some unexplainable reason, my mother and sister are apparently fascinated with banned books. They had a book club for a while, and more than half of the books they read were banned, or at least frowned upon.) and I'll take you to see the movie.

If anyone read the Signet Classics publication of it, they may remember the 3 forwards, or things similiar to forwards. They have an Introduction by... ugh, I forget her name but she talks about Nathaniel Hawthorne and the book, then they have the 2 page article from Nathaniel, talking about how the first "forward" that was published with the book seemed to have brought offense to certain people, and that he apologizes but has gone through and sees nothing that appears offensive. When I finished this I had started to like this author, It appears that his personality and subtle humor are in some ways similiar to mine, and I believe that if possible, I would enjoy his company. (this is just my crazy, day-dreaming tendencies speaking, by the way. If you know better about Nathaniel Hawthorne, and know for a fact that he would be loathe to surrender his time to a hormonal, somewhat unstable teenage girl, then my apologies for my fantasies.)

I also learned that the original "forward", the one that Hawthorne regarded in the previously mentioned note, was actually to be a short story. (WARNING: Author history lesson ahead, read on AYOR)
Hawthorne was actually a writer of collections of short stories, (i.e. Twice Told Tales) and didn't achieve his claim to fame (The Scarlet Letter) until he had been writing for 20 years. You really have to pity the man in some aspects. But originally, The Scarlet Letter was just to be another short story in a collection, until Hawthorne's publisher got hold of the manuscript. The publisher convinced him to publish the story on its own, but Hawthorne threw in just one other short story; The Custom House.

The Custom House tells the fictional accounts of how he came to acquire the information that The Scarlet Letter is based on, making it appear to be a true story. The Custom House is what one may call a half-truth, While Hawthorne recounts his time in the actual Custom House, and the people there whom he knew and worked with, he also tells the false story of how on a rainy day, he finds a sheaf of crinkled, yellowed old pages in the Custom House attic, inside which there lies a piece of frayed red clothe, in the shape of an "A". (Even the thickest person should recognize the connection between The Scarlet Letter and Easy A by now, surely.)

But enough literary history lessons, back to my fun-filled life!

Currently, I'm planning to go as the Mad Hatter for Halloween.... Didn't I already write this in some other post? Oh whatever.... Anyway, I'm planning on going as a female Mad Hatter for Halloween, complete with a little black and white lace, Lolita top hat on a head band. (Though I still need to find/buy/make one)

Anddd......?

Oh, yeah. Artemis Fowl is the greatest book series in the World, and all males should wear red Armani boxer shorts.





That is all.

No comments: